Monday, October 12, 2009

It's getting interesting..........

Well as it turns out the framing in the remainder of the trailer was in pretty poor condition. I replaced a large portion of the framing in the front of the trailer and I am not done yet. As you can tell I removed all of the aluminium skin from the exterior with the exception of the roof but don't fear it is only merely resting on top, as it is completely detached. I have installed five new birch panels since removing all of the original blond paneling.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Well as it turns out the entire back of the trailers framing was rotten. I was not expecting to make these types of repairs. I was certainly not planning on removing the aluminum skin but it was the only way to replace the rotten framing. On the positive side I am using pressure treated wood and my framing seems to be much stronger than the original framing. I am hoping that the rest of the framing is in better shape as this has not been an easy fix.

What have I gotten myself into........

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Uh Oh.....

Well, we spent the weekend working on the trailer. We finished getting all the drip edges off. Then it started pouring rain. So we went to work inside. My husband ripped everything out. We now have a shell of a trailer and plans to rebuild. Looks like a lot of rotten wood to replace.





Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Painting the frame and tongue

After all the rust was removed, we started painting the tongue and frame with Rustoleum high gloss black enamel paint. We like the way it turned out.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Great Product for Rust Removal

We found a great product to remove rust off of the frame. It is called OSPHO and is found at Sherwin Williams. During our never ending quest to get the sand blaster to work, I found myself at AABCO Rents trying to buy some sand media that would work in our sand blaster. While there, I ran into a painter who said to try OSPHO. He said it would take off anything. So we got some, and it worked great. All you do is paint it on and let it sit overnight. When you wake up, the rust is gone!

Getting It Ready for Paint

My husband has spent most of his time lately scraping the old paint and rust off of the Shasta. He first thought that he would use a sand blaster. Well, after several failed attempts with that (and lots of money spent on a sand blaster and all the necessary tools that go with it), he found that using a paint remover, scraper, pressure washer, and wire brush worked the best.

Lift-off was used to prep the surface

Uncovered stripe - originally it was orange then was painted blue at some point.

The Shasta sticker was uncovered.

More paint scraping.

Even more paint scraping.

Almost all the paint on this side is removed.

Now to start taking off all of the drip edges and windows...........